Faulty CV joints?

Faulty CV joints?

Postby Smooth993 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi Steve

I put my car in the air to check the CV joints and I found some play.
Furthermore, when under hard acceleration on take off in first, my cars rear end shifts a little to the left, no tire spin.
Also there is slack in my drive train. I'm assuming this is caused by the worn out CV joints?
My car has old Monroe dampers, but I have new front and rear control arm bushings and new motor mounts.
Grigsby will put new dampers and springs next month.

The performance chip you sent me is working quite well! Upon take off the rear wheels spin when I hit 4k. Kind like my '69 LOL!...

And thanks for sending Grigsby the RS clutch kit for my car. It works beautifully!
Smooth993

Re: Faulty CV joints?

Postby Steve » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:25 pm

Hmmmm,.....CV's generally do not cause the chassis to shift one way or the other unless they are REALLY bad and you have a tight (non-factory) LSD. Slack in the drivetrain OTOH, can be attributed to worn out CV's, but thats a question of degree.

I would be concerned that your alignment settings are off; static & kinematic toe. If any rear rubber bushings are shot, that will do the same things. Brandon Kraus @ Roger Kraus Racing in Castro Valley is THE go-to guy for 993 alignment. They have the tools and the knowledge to do this correctly. Naturally, one does this after the shocks have been replaced as well as any marginal or worn out rubber bushings. Grigsby can check that out for ya.

I'm very glad that you are pleased with the chip; these have worked out really well for everyone as a worthwhile performance improvement. :) :)

Keep me posted on the CV & handling issue.
Steve
Site Admin

Return to 993