Crankshaft Oil Galley Plug?

Crankshaft Oil Galley Plug?

Postby tarmac_pro » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:51 am

Hi Steve:

Are there galley plugs at both ends of the stock 993 crankshaft?

I have got my 95 running after resealing all oil leaks and replacing all seals. I thought I had a front mainseal leak, but it turns out that oil is
coming out the crankshaft pulley bolt hole. I used a smaller sacrificial bolt bottoming out in the crankshaft pulley bolt hole for a 3 jaw puller to remove the pulley.
With the stress, it looks like I may have bumped the plug enough for it to leak now (provided there is a plug).

It looks like a normal blind tapped hole and I can't see any sort of plug. I will measure the hole depth tonight with calipers and see if it is now drastically deeper than the pulley bolt length. Would love to know this factory depth. If I for some reason shifted a plug deeper into the crankshaft am I in danger of blocking any main bearing oil passageways? I would think something would look more apparent or obvious if this was the case.

Unfortunately, I suppose at this point I will end up using a loctite product on the bolt threads that will stop the oil leak.

Learning through experience here, thank you.
-Ben
tarmac_pro

Re: Crankshaft Oil Galley Plug?

Postby tarmac_pro » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:39 pm

Looks like I figured this one out Steve,

Took another look and I do see a pencil-sized diameter aluminum plug off center, whose surface is slightly scored.
Plug doesn't seem to be pushed in at all--surface is still nearly flush with the rest of the bottom of the crank pulley bolt hole.

Looks like I must have bumped it enough to cause a leak. I'd love to pull it out and tap the hole with a new plug, but feel that's skirting disaster with engine assembled.
Guess I will find a good thread sealant for the crank pulley bolt.

-Ben
tarmac_pro

Return to 993