Oil in intake ('96 993 C4 Cab 6 speed)?

Oil in intake ('96 993 C4 Cab 6 speed)?

Postby Martin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:59 pm

I recently availed of your 1:1 telephone service during which you opined that my smoking 993 could be due to overfill / high oil level if it is not worn guides. Of course this may be wishful thinking on my behalf given the costs of top overhaul and the scarcity of skilled techs (here in Perth WA) able to do a good job and available to do it within the next decade....

I have therefore had the oil reduced by a litre (to about a qtr into and above the bottom of the "twisty bit" on the dipstick) and also got a view into the valve plenum immediately after the airbox and before the Varioram proper, that showed no oil in that area .

The oil level gauge now does not register whereas before it was lifting off the bottom peg / red zone even when underway and when hot and idling would be well above the half way mark (about 3 qtr way up the range). With the recently lowered oil level both I and the workshop observed that the smoking seemed substantially reduced almost immediately. After I had driven about 100kms with not much if any smoke, it "came back" today however. It is so visible (and smellable) it is doubtful I could have "missed it" during previous checks at hot idle.

Q; Where can oil enter the intake system and can it gather to then be "sloshed" in the Varioram system to be sucked into the cylinders and burnt? If the reduced oil level is in fact the solution to the smoking issue, how much driving with reduced oil level should see the smoking reduce / cease?

Thx.
Martin

Re: Oil in intake ('96 993 C4 Cab 6 speed)?

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:31 am

Steve
Site Admin

Re: Oil in intake ('96 993 C4 Cab 6 speed)?

Postby Martin » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:05 am

Thx Steve
Here's hopin'...
Regards
Martin

Return to 993