993 Clutch Options (LWF, MWF or Stock) and concerns

993 Clutch Options (LWF, MWF or Stock) and concerns

Postby tarmac_pro » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Hello Steve:

I'm new to 911 ownership, but a fairly mechanically minded DIY'er.
I have acquired a '95 993 last fall with 98k miles with several of the classic 993 issues (rear main leak, valve cover leaks, timing chain box leaks, etc). Car was lightly tracked and modded in many aspects but I believe engine has never been out of the car. This winter I plan to do the engine drop and fix anything suspect I can including belts hoses, wires, seals, lifters, senders, etc. The engine has seen oil leaks for some time so lots of cleaning will be involved. I suspect engine health is good and that most of my oil consumption comes from leaks, so I will not be removing the heads or disturbing the timing.

Because of the rear main seal leak I will do the clutch. I've always dismissed the idea of the LWF conversion due to the forum comments, but how bad is it really? Right now the car is just used on the street. It may see occasional club track events in the future. If I were to do the LWF, is a chip/computer reprogram 100% mandatory and a complete fix for stalling and drivibility issues? I see you offer a MWF. Do you ever see any drivability issues with this setup? Does the MWF setup typically involve a software change? What is really the ideal setup in a 1995?

Lastly, this could be an issue for my car only. The previous owner I think removed some of the SAI system (I should still have the parts) in his quest to remove weight for the track. When you cold start the car you have to hold the gas for a few seconds to prevent it from dying. Wouldn't this be problematic during a chip change as the car trys to relearn all of it's sequences?

I am about a month out from parking the car and starting this project. I would love to come down to your shop and talk in person. No doubt there is an extremely large bit of knowledge I'll be learning over the next 6 months.

Thank you
-Ben
tarmac_pro

Re: 993 Clutch Options (LWF, MWF or Stock) and concerns

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:25 pm

Hi Ben,

You've asked a LOT of complex questions here and I'd need to write a book in order to give you the complete, thorough and detailed answers you really need. :) :)

Are you local to the PDX area?

I would suggest a phone call in order to discuss the pro's & con's of all the flywheel options.
Steve
Site Admin

Return to 993