Low beams don't work

Low beams don't work

Postby Smooth993 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Hello Steve!

1995 C2 with stock headlights.

Drove to work in the morning with the headlights on, got in the car after work to head home, fired it up, turned on the headlights ...... No lights. The running lights worked as did the high beams only the low beams don't work.

I checked all fuses even though my owners manual doesn't list a fuse for the headlights.
Found no relays listed in the owners manual. Figured it was a light switch, had a spare, put it in still no low beams.
Also switched out the bulbs....still no worky....

What to do next....???

Would take it to Grisby but I can't get any days off from work at this time and Grigsby is closed Sat. :(

Much Thanks!
Smooth993

Re: Low beams don't work

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:16 am

Sounds like a low/high beam dip switch problem; the one on the left side of the steering column. The contacts become fatigued so one can either replace that switch or take it out and carefully bend the contacts to re-establish continuity.

Be very careful if you do this yourself due to the airbag!!!!! The battery must be disconnected for 30 minutes before starting this project to discharge the capacitors that fire the explosive in the airbag.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Smooth993 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Hi Steve
Thanks for the info on what is wrong.
I think this is a job for Grigsby, no sure I can do this.
As always, I appreciate your help.
Best
Mark
Smooth993

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi Mark,

He should be able to adjust the contacts and fix you right up unless they are damaged.
Steve
Site Admin

Return to 993