Warning Lights

C2 and C4

Warning Lights

Postby nboy99 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:50 am

I have a 1990 C4 with 75k.
Started the car yesterday and no warning lights. Changed the oil, and started to warm up and add oil, and the Longitudinal & Transverse interlock, and the brake warning lights stayed on. I took it for a drive, and the brakes seem fine, and the reservoir is full.
The hydraulic pump usually runs for a few seconds upon turning the key, not sure if it did this time, or didn't need to. I bleed the brakes(fresh ATE) every two years, but have n ever done a full bleed, locks, bomb etc... What do you suppose is the cause?

One other thing. When I start the car, the front parking lights come on and stay on. Never noticed this before. This is when the light switch is off. Doesn't happen when the key is turned, only upon start. The directional stalk is centered.
Thanks,
Steven
nboy99

Re: Warning Lights

Postby nboy99 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:10 am

Here is some more info about my previous post. After changing the oil, I pulled what I thought was the DME relay, to prevent the engine from starting. I mistakenly pulled the R-51 brake booster power relay, and the car started with the relay out. Could the electronics sensed there was no booster pump relay(pump not working) and generated the lights? My friend has a computer program,which I believe can read and clear codes. Or it could be a bad relay. Guess I will wit a few days, and see if the pump runs when I turn the key. Steve, what do you think
nboy99

Postby nboy99 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:25 am

So, I fixed both problems, and it was my fault. When I replaced the brake booster relay, I put it back in the wrong socket, which caused the warning lights, and the fog(not parking)lights to go on when the engine started. Today, I put the relay in the right spot, and
no more warning lights, and fog's are back to normal. Easy, lucky fix.
nboy99

Postby Steve » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:18 pm

Steve
Site Admin

Return to 964