Exhaust Recommendations

C2 and C4

Exhaust Recommendations

Postby thw79 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:44 am

All,

I'm interested in getting a new exhaust (and possibly headers and heat exchangers) for my 964. As wishes go, more horsepower and better response would be the hope, especially as future engine upgrades are planned. I'd also, however, like to drop some weight in the upgrade. I'd also like to avoid drone or the necessity of earplugs.

So far, the major contenders from my research seem to be:

1) Fabspeed/Maxflow system -- common but some report power loss.

2) Dansk/FVD -- more expensive but haven't heard many reports.

3) Instant G -- heard of them but no detailed reports on the performance of the exhaust system

What are you guys recommending on the exhaust system side that would be a good upgrade that might also support future engine upgrades?
thw79

Re: Exhaust Recommendations

Postby Steve » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:37 pm

JMHO,.....

The stock 964 heat exchangers, sans cat, actually works very well with a "G-pipe" and there is very little cabin drone at all.

Many of the aftermarket systems make less overall power and generate a lot more discomfort inside the car. :)

Good headers only pay dividends when paired with a good race muffler system and this is pretty loud & resonant for street use.

With stock or RS cams, I'd be careful about going backwards, just to make a change.

My advice is spending your hard-earned money where it does the most good: a GOOD chip, exhaust as above, cams, and of course, close-ratio gears.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Balvenie » Thu May 01, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks Steve,

Would you recommend putting a 993 OEM exhaust system in a 964? I read that this give +25hp or so, similiar to what the Fabspeed & other systems claim, but the OEM 993 system would be very civil to use & have no drone.

On the G-pipe, would you have a sense of what HP gain a g-pipe + 200 cell sport cat would produce? How would this compare with sport cat + cup pipe (and keeping the 2ndary muffler)? Would either of these produce a drone at 2000-3000 rpm?

I picked up my 964 with a Fabspeed system that gives me a nasty pressure wave drone at 2000-3000 rpm, and makes the car unsuitable as a daily driver. Am scratching my head as to what to do next.

Many thanks!
Balvenie

Postby Steve » Thu May 01, 2014 8:35 pm

Steve
Site Admin

Postby Balvenie » Fri May 09, 2014 9:06 pm

So I scrounged around and found and repaired an OEM exhaust, and found a scrap cup pipe that happened to be in good shape. After a bit of welding, it works and is much better than the Fabspeed!

The exhaust makes a nice burbling sound now, is delightful with the windows down, but unintrusive with the windows up. The sound is distinctly flat 6 Porsche, and its a huge improvement!! Thanks for your advice!
Balvenie

Return to 964