964 brake upgrade

C2 and C4

964 brake upgrade

Postby HiWind » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:09 am

Hi Steve

thanks for all the insight on your site re this and Kai's build etc..

I wanted to run my thinking past you and see what you could help me find to make this workable.

I have a set of 993 TT rear's so I was thinking of putting those on my front discs and moving the stock 64 2 pot calipers to the rear
and get rid of those puny single pots back there. I have these - see attach - 17 in boxer rims and D90's but not using them much.
Would they be left out if I did this? WOuld the boxer rims work - ie are they deep enough?

Also I know there's some confusion re MC's and whether one needs the 993 MC or not .. you say not necessary.

I'd also like the stainless brake lines which I think you have. I run SRF but still get pedal weakness after 10 or so laps.

Can you tell me what I'd need assuming the rims would work - I don't want to replace/upgrade those atm.

thanks Steve - welcome to mail me pricing etc...

oh and Guy W says howdee!

cheers
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
996 Cup || 964 3.8 RSE
HiWind

Re: 964 brake upgrade

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi Matt,

Please give my best regards to Guy! :)

About your caliper idea,.....

993TT rear calipers have rather small pistons and are not a good match to the 964 front calipers, leaving you with massive rear bias. I would MUCH rather you get some 993TT fronts to go with your 964 front rear calipers; you'll still have some rear bias, however thats manageable using an AP or Tilton manual bias valve. This is what's on Kai's car. We didn't install a 993MC on his car as its a matter of personal preference; some people like a higher pedal than others. The 993 MC is larger so it shortens the effective stroke when using TT or RS calipers and the 993 vacuum booster is required when making the conversion.

For those on a budget, those can be found used (although they may need a rebuild). I do have new 993TT front ones in black or red if that helps. Adapters will be required for installation on the stock 964 uprights.

No worries on your 17" wheels,..you can use them. :)
Steve
Site Admin

Return to 964