964 Shock spring combo

C2 and C4

964 Shock spring combo

Postby JA964C2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:29 am

Steve, thanks for the new forum and good luck!

I currently have a 964 which I drive on the street and track. It currently has Bilstein HD's and H&R greens on all four corners.

To keep my costs down is it possible to install the Pss10's on the rear only matched with my Bilstein HD's and greens on the front?

It appears the Pss10's are around 250# in the front which is very similar to my current set-up which is 255#. Is this hybrid a possibility?

Thanks........
JA964C2

Re: 964 Shock spring combo

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 am

Thank you, Sir. Its YOUR participation which will help make this successful. :) :)

PSS-10's have an somewhat unconventional spring package that would not install at one end, without using the matching shocks at the other end.

These things use a front 250 lb main and 225 lb tender spring with a 400 lb main and 685 lb tender. The crossover points between springs is determined by their respective lengths and this package is all matched to each other.

My best advice would be to either install a complete PSS-10 kit and sell your current components, or use the Turbo/RSA H&R springs (red) with your current shocks for a less expensive, but far less capable compromise.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby JA964C2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:39 am

Steve, thanks for the input!
JA964C2

Postby vtdriver » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Steve,

My 91 C2 has HR greens with bilsteins all around. Driving on the street my car seems to buck over our frostheaved roads. By bucking I mean it seems to rebound excessively after dips in the road and even pitches a little front to back in the process. My mechanic says it feels like the shocks are not dampening the rebound enough. Is this adjustable on the bilsteins? Is it possible that the springs are too stiff for the shocks? Any ideas? I only drive on the street and am interested in a compliant ride.

Thanks,
Tim in Vermont
vtdriver

Postby Steve » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Tim,

What are you running for cold tire pressures?

Many compromises are made in the design and calibration of street suspension packages and its sometimes difficult to achieve a perfect match between spring rates and shock valving when two different manufacturers are used. Further, cost plays a BIG role as many people are unwilling to put out the extra $$$ for an adjustable coilover kit that allows one to to fine-tune the ride & handling for local conditions.

I think the match between Bilstein HD's & H&R Sport springs is pretty good, but its not perfect by any stretch and the PSS-10's or Motion Control packages are much superior. In short, you get what you pay for. :) :) :)

That said, your Bilstein's can be revalved to make them better and its something you might consider. Naturally, the valving numbers are the key to success here and devil lies in the details.
Steve
Site Admin

Return to 964