Rear camber, ERP plates not getting there

C2 and C4

Rear camber, ERP plates not getting there

Postby Vandit » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 am

I just got the car back together and the setup in the rear is Bilstein HDs, H&R red/Turbo springs, Powerflex bushes on the outer trailing arm and ERP 935-style spring plates. The ride height is around RS spec. It's low.

I had the car aligned this Saturday at RAC Performance (previous RUF NA) in Dallas and was aiming for -2.0 degrees of camber and the tech was only able to get to -1.3 degrees. Basically the eccentric reaches the peak of its travel before it starts moving the plate back in the opposite direction and that's all the camber I'm getting.

The plates are installed w/ the slotted hole downward, which I understood would provide the largest camber setting.

I thought these spring plates were advertised for a -1.5 through -4.5 range. I'm not getting there at all.

I'm killing the shoulders on my rear tires out at autocross. I need more negative camber.
Vandit

Re: Rear camber, ERP plates not getting there

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 am

What do you have for front upper shock mounts?

The rear ERP Spring plates and trailing arms need to be "massaged" to get into the camber range you need, depending on ride height.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Vandit » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:42 am

Front upper mounts are OEM. The camber in the front was -1.8 when we put it on the rack, but we dialed that back to -1.6 when we realized the rear was not cooperating on the "-2.0 all around" goal I really wanted to achieve.

Can you elaborate on the massaging process to achieve desired rear camber?

The tech noted the slots on the rear plate still allowed for more movement, but the eccentric had already reached the peak of its travel. I saw him get under the car w/ a pry bar but he stated he could not get the spring plate and the trailing arm to pivot further.
Vandit

Postby Steve » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Steve
Site Admin

Postby Vandit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:28 am

The car is currently on Pilot Sport PS2s that still have tread (except outside rear shoulders are bald), but overall the tires are old and busted tires.

I'll be purchasing some 140-200TW extreme performance summer tires soon, likely Hankook RS3 or BFG g-force Rival, however I am holding off till I can dial in more negative camber at the rear.  I don't want to kill the shoulders on a new set of tires.

I see plenty of the fast street tire folks running 2-3 degrees negative every weekend.

I'm on +55 7/9 Cup II wheels and I'm going for a 225/45F and 255/40R setup.

I discussed the spring plate orientation with Tarett and learned that on the 964 application, the slotted hole needs to be upward, not downward, in order to get the most adjustment range.  The information available when I installed mine stated the opposite.

Another member on the RL forum is in the process of installing these plates on his car and will align next week w/ the slotted hole upward. If he can get a favorable result, I will flip mine too and eat the cost of a re-alignment for my week-old alignment.
Vandit

Postby Vandit » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Here I am on course this past weekend.

Vandit

Return to 964