Replacing fan(s) in front boot HVAC -any veterans?

C2 and C4

Replacing fan(s) in front boot HVAC -any veterans?

Postby # 37 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:51 pm

How does one approach getting to the two fans on either ends of the HVAC console?
I have a spare one on the floor to practice and scope out replacement.
But as far as the actual one in the car- how do you get to them?
thanks

Nic
# 37

Re: Replacing fan(s) in front boot HVAC -any veterans?

Postby Tom » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:01 pm

To get to the airbox access you'll want to remove it. It sounds scary but it's not that bad. but it will take some time.

Its difficult enough to get in there that you end up with a few "while you're in there" moments.

In the abstract,
Evacuate AC Refrigerant
Remove Gas tank
Remove fuse panel and drape over the side,
Disassemble AC lines
Remove airbox.
Disassemble airbox
Remove fans

I had it all out in about 6 hours the first time. I'd do it faster now that I've had to do it a few times. I'd do a search on RL as there are a few detailed write-ups. You'll want this information as there are a couple bolts that hold the airbox in that need to be accessed from INSIDE the car behind the CCU unit itself. Also be prepared to order new front heater hoses that come up from the floor and provide incoming heat to the airbox. At this age they're quite old, and will want to be renewed. Likely they're leaking hot air into your cabin now. I used 2.75" Silicone hose from the aircraft industry. WAY cheaper than the Porsche part and virtually the same thing. It's the same replacement for the heater hoses under the car that connect to the airboxes. if you haven't replaced those either, consider buying about 9' of the stuff and cut it up for your uses. Really useful.

Assuming you have A/C. You'll first want to get to a shop to have them evacuate the refrigerant. (Now would be a good time to also consider a full RnR of the airbox components, such as the Evaporator, valves, receiver dryer and seals. You can use this moment to convert to the new refrigerant (R32A - or is that a Volkswagen) away from the NLA R12.)

BUT... I'd do another search on RL on fans, as there is a raging debate regarding lubrication of the fan motors, and how to make them last more than a few months.

Drop us a note if you need more specific information... There's a lot of research to do to make sure you don't have to do it all twice...
Tom
Lifetime Advisor

Postby swftiii » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:55 pm

Mic,

I have done it and you don't have to remove the whole 'suitcase'. I am mobile and won't have the ability to pull the info for you, but searching on Rennlist will provide you some great information.

Good luck and let me know if you want some help with figuring it out.

Skip
swftiii

Postby # 37 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Both fans right and left are working now. As is the fan built into the CCU; though that is the one that might be chirping.
I hear it even when the fan speed is -0- [ it's a 1991 C4]
Right now i have everything working except my driver side <left> mixing servo.
I tried a couple of them and nada.
Might be the plug_ not had time to check.
Thanks for all the good input! I know i will need it if not now, in the future.
# 37

Return to 964