A/C condensor - factory or aftermarket?

Shorthood Cars 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2

A/C condensor - factory or aftermarket?

Postby Arne » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:41 pm

OK, I know that A/C isn't a big part of Rennsport's business, if any at all. This question is better suited to Pelican, but A/C threads there are a pain in that they all rapidly become arguments - wwest vs. Griff and his supporters.

Anyway, I need to replace the rear deck condenser in my '84 coupe. I don't need any super fancy high-capacity serpentine unit for here in Eugene, stock type will do. So I have two choices at about the same cost - used factory original (from a known vendor of good reputation) or brand new aftermarket. The aftermarket unit is described as custom fit (no mods to require, fits like stock) and has a 1 year warranty. The used will fit properly (it is factory, after all), carries a 30 day warranty, but it is 25+ years old. I'm torn, which should I choose?
- Arne
1984 Chiffon White Coupe - Wong chip, Seine GSK
Pics and story at
Arne

Re: A/C condensor - factory or aftermarket?

Postby Steve » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi Arne,

True enough, we don't generally get involved with A/C stuff much anymore (except in rare cases), but two thoughts come to mind.

1) Factory stuff is usually better than aftermarket in most cases, however there are exceptions and Griffin's components are good and have worked very well when we've retrofitted/upgraded an A/C system.

2) A used factory condenser is after all, just that; used. Being made of aluminum and sitting out in the weather, its prone to corrosion and especially in locations where salt is used. Its VERY difficult to make an accurate assessment of condition and therefore longevity so I'd vote for using a GOOD aftermarket one.

Refrigerant leaks are a real PITA to deal with and not cheap so getting a reliable part is paramount.
Steve
Site Admin

Return to Later 911 '74-'89