Old-styled air cleaner on PMOs?

Shorthood Cars 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2

Old-styled air cleaner on PMOs?

Postby kerthunk » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:10 pm

I'm getting tired of the look of the rain hats on my PMO carbs:

IMG_0489.jpg

I want to make it look a little more "classic" by using the old Carbs/MFI air cleaner. Kind of like in the SCRS, but maybe one with a snorkel on the front.

scrs engine.jpg

I am figuring that I'll probably need to make new base plates to fit the PMOs, but otherwise should fit fine, correct?

Also, would this choke out the engine at higher RPMs (3.2SS / 46mm PMOs / Mod-S cams)? Is there a particular size/part # that could provide the needed airflow?

Does this sound do-able or do you think I'm smoking something good? Any ideas on how I could make this happen?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kerthunk

Re: Old-styled air cleaner on PMOs?

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 am

That SC/RS air cleaner was based on the early Weber carbureted and MFI units ('66-'73), but modified to fit the Tall Butterfly stacks used on this engine. To do something for PMO's, you'll need to do some custom fabrication as there is nothing ready-made for those carbs at this time. Inlet position does not affect performance once the car is moving.

From a performance perspective, that aircleaner assembly actually makes MORE average power & torque than the individual K&N's as proven by a lot of dyno runs on various engines. :) :)
Steve
Site Admin

Postby KTL » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:43 am

Kevin
'79 SC widebody sorta-934 looking thing
KTL

Postby nilknarf » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Hey kerthunk, may I ask what your oil breather system is? I'm going to need a solution for mine soon as I have the dual Zenith carb setup with no provision for a breather- yours looks nice and clean!
Curt
-------------------
66 912 ... 2.7 conversion (happily, in progress)
79 928 5-spd (sadly, sold)
85.5 944 5-spd (sadly, traded for 928)

www.curtfranklincreative.com
nilknarf

Return to Later 911 '74-'89