84 Carrera CVs

Shorthood Cars 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2

84 Carrera CVs

Postby ClickClickBoom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:21 pm

Hello,
Thought I would throw this down for digestion. On my 3/84 production Carrera I have the old school 100MM CVs. Had a torn boot and decided to fix it up. I had previously purchased 4 100MM CVs, boots and new bolt and gaskets. I replaced the CV components on the axle and reassembled everything after cleaning with brake cleaner and a finial wipe with acetone prior to assembly. After assembly using the supplied 8 x 50mm bolts, which were the same as the removed ones, I noted that the bolts were too short by at least 3-4mm.The bolt ends were at least 2 threads short of the stub axles inner and outer surface. I assembled the right side, leaving the left side untouched since the boots and CVs were tight and working fine. After researching the Pelican Forums extensively I decided that the whole set-up should have moon plate washers and schnorr washers, unfortunately Pelican sent me 10mm washers.
I went on to eBay and found a supplier that had several types of 8mm locking washers, Nord-lock as well as Schnorr washers standard and LN versions.
Ordered up some 8mm Nord-Locks as well as Schnorrs, finished up the order with some 12.9 8x55 bolts, non zinced, black phosphate coated. Found a VW shop on line that had VW Rabbit moon plates in the 8mm flavor. Waiting for the moons to arrive to reassemble the whole kit.
One question I have is the Nord-Locks look very interesting and have a very new age look and quality about them, but the Schnorrs look proper as well, the respective companies have very convincing tech sheets, thinking of doing one version on opposite ends of the CV.
What thinks ye?

http://www.nord-lock.com/

http://www.nord-lock.com/products/multi ... roduction/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ ... ata_player

Kinda geeky, but interesting!

P.S. I found it interesting that the bolting surfaces compressed over a short time, hours, not instantly, I would think that retorque after a few hours would be beneficial.
ClickClickBoom

Re: 84 Carrera CVs

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:05 am

Looks VERY interesting,.....I've never used those, only the Schnorr washers, however those look like a variation of the same principle. As long as your bolts have sufficient lengths to accommodate the thicker Nord-locks, I cannot see any reason why they would not work as well or better.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby ClickClickBoom » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:45 am

Steve,
Scroll down to the video, interesting!

http://www.nord-lock.com/products/multi ... e-locking/

Eric
ClickClickBoom

Postby ClickClickBoom » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:37 pm

Steve,
The cam/ramp that is greater than the thread base appears to be the key even if abused the distance of the ramp vs the thread base will prevent loosening!
I just installed the Nord-Lock and new black phosphate 12.9 8x55 bolts assemblies. I torqued them to 31LBFT based on my conversation with the Nord-Lock engineer. Kinda psyched!
I know geek alert, it's the small stuff!
eric
ClickClickBoom

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 pm

I think I'll order some up and take a closer look. I hate to try something new on a customer's race car, so I'll find a willing street "victim" to see how they hold up and retain torque.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby mikeycfl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:55 am

Awesome - brings out the latent geek in me. I'll have to put these on my list as well. Thanks for the great info!
mikeycfl

Postby ClickClickBoom » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Follow up,
I checked the torque on the install, today aprox 24hrs after initial install of the Nord-Locks, 0 degrees of rotation on the torque check. Will be driving to and from work tomorrow, will recheck torque at 200miles!
Hola
eric
ClickClickBoom

Return to Later 911 '74-'89