Narrow body tire sizes

Shorthood Cars 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2

Narrow body tire sizes

Postby Charles Freeborn » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:43 am

I realize this topic has been beat to death but maybe my situation is a little different....I posted this over at Rennlist, but maybe some folks here will have advice.
I've been bit bad by the track day bug - but... my 206/60 /15 all weather tires (which I love on the street) are taking a beating and don't have enough grip for track use. I also do not want to change the set-up (i.e. stiffer torsion bars, etc), as the ride is currently a good compromise between comfort and performance. Car is currently @ roughly "Euro" height. Ideally on a day at the races I'd jack 'er up, swap the shoes, maybe give a twist to the swaybar adjustments and go have fun. At the end of the day I'd swap back to street shoes and take my wife for a drive in the country.
So....How about going with a 45 or 50 aspect ratio 16" wheel and tire combination? Ideally I'd stuff 225's on the rear and stick with 205's on the front? There seem to be some reasonable "extreme summer performance" options available in those sizes. What rim widths should I look for?
I'd like to go with a readily available wheel such as cookie cutter, or eq, and keep within the confines of the stock fenders. I don't mind "rolling" or doing some inner fenderwell surgery, but I don't want to go the whole hog "wide body" look.
Many thanks in advance,
-C
Charles Freeborn

Re: Narrow body tire sizes

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Steve
Site Admin

Postby Charles Freeborn » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:40 pm

Definitely don't want to raise it. Tire diameter calculators made it look like the 45 aspect 16's is similar enough diameter to a 60 / 15, but I guess the greater width screws the pooch, so to speak...
Plenty of tire choices in 205/50/15's. Guess I'm just going to have to learn how do drive...
-C
Charles Freeborn

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Steve
Site Admin

Return to Later 911 '74-'89