Restraint for track days

Shorthood Cars 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2

Restraint for track days

Postby Charles Freeborn » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:14 am

What would be a good strategy for putting in a more secure restraint system on the occasional track days? I will want to retain the stock 3 point for daily driving. I don't mind sacrificing the rear seats, and am perfectly willing to drill into / fabricate rear parcel shelf / bulkheads, etc. I don't mind bolting in and out belt guides when I use the track belts. I would like to retain the original seats. Car is a Targa.
Thanks!
Charles Freeborn

Re: Restraint for track days

Postby Steve » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Charles,

The short answer is that without different seats, you cannot safely employ 5pt or 6pt race harnesses in your car. PCA doesn't permit 4pt ones to be used on the track (thats a whole 'nuther story grounded in ignorance) so you are stuck with your OEM 3 pt ones for now.

If you install seats with separate, movable headrests (or one-piece racing seats) and cushions with slots for the anti-submarine belt, you can install a 6pt harness which will keep you fastened down VERY securely in the seat. PCA requires the same seating & harnesses for both driver & passenger (or instructor) so this is a substantial investment.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Charles Freeborn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:59 am

Yet another slippery slope....
I'm not positive, but I think my instructor had a 4 point system and stock seats in his 325i on Saturday. Maybe since he's "staff" he's allowed....
Hope to see you Thursday.
-C
Charles Freeborn

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:01 pm

Steve
Site Admin

Return to Later 911 '74-'89