3.2 Rebuild Options

Shorthood Cars 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2

3.2 Rebuild Options

Postby Best911 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 am

I've got an '86 Carrera with 138k and it's never been rebuilt. The car currently has a K&N intake, Vertex Chip, stock headers and exhaust and an aftermarket Cat (PO had removed in his jurisdiction, but mine requires OEM exhaust for daily driving).

The car is daily driven and lives in Washington, DC, which I understand now has stricter laws than CA for daily-driven cars of any age. Simply, I have to pass emissions as if it were stock.

My last 911 was a '72E that I rebuilt to RS-specs w/ a 2.7 case, cylinders, and 9.3 C/R JE pistons. With the MFI and S cams, it was an absolute blast to drive. Decent torque but howled all the way up to the 7,300 RPM red-line in a big hurry. I drove it on the street 7 years ago before the laws had changed here in DC.

This 3.2 has great torque around town, but lacks any real excitement, particularly at higher RPMs. On the plus side, it starts right up in any weather and has "creature comforts" my '72 lacked--a/c being the biggest.

As I look towards an impending rebuild, what are my rebuild options? Clearly I will have to face compromises to keep the emissions in check. But, short of a 3.6 or other kind of motor swap, are there any 3.2 options that allow a hotter cam and the Motronic brain?

Thanks,
John
John Mackay
'86 Carrera Coupe
Previous: '72 E/2.7 RS+, '73 914 2.0, '70 T Targa
Best911

Re: 3.2 Rebuild Options

Postby Steve » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:22 pm

Hi John,

Welcome to the "party" here. :) :)

I regret to tell you that given your apparently strict emissions laws that restrict you to the original exhaust and such hardware, there really isn't anything you can do to your 3.2 to make it feel like your old 2.7RS-spec hot rod, beyond whats already there.

The stock intake mandates mild cams and 964 ones will not make a big difference. These engines were designed and tuned to pass emissions and provide low & mid-range torque, not upper RPM power. You can bump it up to a 3.4 which is a major change in torque, however it simply enhances the current powerband.

Installing aftermarket Engine Management such as Motec, gives more complete control of fueling & timing, however it will not make an appreciable power upgrade unless you change exhaust, cams, intake etc.

A 3.6 V-ram provides a BIG jump in torque from idle to 6K and that may satisfy your need for more performance,...:) :)

Perhaps Maryland or Virginia have more reasonable emissions laws that would allow you to make the substantial modifications you would like to do. :)
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Best911 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks Steve. I was afraid of that.

I suppose the "worst" I could do is build a ROW-spec motor w/ new pistons although I've heard from some that the LAST thing a "stock" 3.2 should get is higher compression.

Will a ROW single-plug motor run fine on Shell 93 pump gas?

I think I'll spend some time seeking out local enthusiasts to see what they've done.

Best,
John
John Mackay
'86 Carrera Coupe
Previous: '72 E/2.7 RS+, '73 914 2.0, '70 T Targa
Best911

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:21 am

Hi John,

JMHO, but an ROW-spec motor is more of a lateral than a progressive upgrade. Its not going to make an appreciable difference.

Given the state of our pump gasolines, one must carefully balance between CR increases and ignition timing maps. Personally, I'd rather have good timing than a little more compression when I have to use street fuels since that offers a more "lively" engine.

You didn't say anything about your budget and that's always the first question I ask all of our clients in order to frame what is going to be possible. :) :)

I will tell you that a twin-plug 3.4 with 964 cams and a good exhaust runs VERY very well.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Charles Freeborn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:03 am

Charles Freeborn

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:18 pm

Steve
Site Admin

Return to Later 911 '74-'89