Twin plug heads and 915 oil cooler...

Shorthood Cars 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2

Twin plug heads and 915 oil cooler...

Postby G450X » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:14 am

I have collected quite a few parts to give my '82 SC more power and I don't think I want the added expense and complication of a twin plug set-up and/or 915 oil cooler.

I plan on keeping the stock CIS for at least a few years until a fantastic new EFI set-up may become available.

I want to use pump gas, so max octane will probably be 91+ dependent upon the area I am in. It will be a street car, maybe a DE event or something

My mods: I have sourced Max Moritz (short stroke) P&C's. I have early ('78-'79) SC large port heads (I'm saving up for Steve to re-work these and add a bit of magic) to install. I have a good used early CIS set-up, distributor, SSI's, M&K, etc..

I think the modest power upgrade to twin plug will not outweigh the cost & complexity, am I correct in my thinking? What would a twin plug set-up cost?

I have also sourced all new close ratio gear sets to boost my "punch," (2nd-15:30, 3rd-21:31, 4th-24:27, 5th-27:24), I also have a lightweight flywheel, SACHS power clutch/PP, and Wavetrac LSD. I picked up a low mile hybrid (aluminum main case/magnesium final drive) '77 915 box to modify (I also have the one piece bearing retainer and billet side cover which uses the 930 bearing). I believe this 915 has the steel inserts from the factory for durability and is one of the best 915's.

Could I benefit from a 915 cooler? I'd rather have overkill than underkill - those gears and LSD were expensive! What would a cooler set-up cost?

Many Thanks
G450X

Re: Twin plug heads and 915 oil cooler...

Postby Steve » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 pm

JMHO,......

Max Moritz P/C's are about 9.7:1 and thats damned marginal on 91 octane fuel in hot weather unless one really rolls back the timing. You can have the pistons modified to get the CR down to around 9.4-9.5 if you will use 91.

Twin-ignition isn't compatible with your P/C's so they will save you about $3K. :)

You won't need a transmission cooler unless you do a LOT of track days (or racing).

Save your money on any CNC head work if you will use CIS as thats a complete waste of money. If you install a different intake (ITB) system and cams, CNC head work really helps make power to 7500 RPM & up. :)
Steve
Site Admin

Return to Later 911 '74-'89