Driving my modified 79 SC in the winter

Shorthood Cars 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2

Driving my modified 79 SC in the winter

Postby ROWSC » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:46 pm

Steve, as you know I built my car to be driven, and have slacked off in the regard. The entire body was media blasted, there were no rust issues, but every pin hole was addressed anyway before being sprayed inside and out with epoxy primer (DP90?). All undercarriage parts were powder coated with the exception of two factory new front A-arms. Rather than buying a fourth car for my daughter, here is my thinking:

1. Work out the bugs on the auto heat so I at least get defrost.

2. Install winter tires. This may be harder than it sounds. I have your red Bembos that only fit within 16x7 Fuchs from the 944 turbo on front and 16x8 turbo wheels on the rear. These were professionally refinished and I don't really want to drive them in the rain/shush/snow. BBS makes a set of 17" rims for the SC but are expensive new (I have not tried to track down a used set). I still have the stock calipers and rotors. Could I install them for winter driving with the 19mm master cylinder? This would open up a host of more common, and hopefully cheaper, wheel options. Although, a local guy has four chrome twist type 17" rims with spacers for $900. I don't like the chrome, but the price seems right and I wouldn't be DE'ing these rims and their spacers.

3. I would need to be able to start my PMO equipped car after sitting in a parking lot for up to eight hours on cold days without the benefit of being on a batter charger. Would this be a problem if the battery is in good shape? Would that preclude converting to a light weight red battery?

4. What else would I need to turn my car into a daily driver given we only have to deal with snow fewer than a dozen commutes per year (we can have a blizzard on the way to work and sunshine and clear roads by the COB)?

Thanks!

Rich
79 R.o.W. 911 SC
Lovingly restored for about the cost of a 997
ROWSC

Re: Driving my modified 79 SC in the winter

Postby Steve » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:07 am

Hey Rich,

JMHO.....:)

1) When everything is working right, the defrost system works pretty well. Make certain that all the blowers and hoses are in top shape with no air leaks.

2) Just me, but swapping brakes to install 16" wheels seems like a an awful LOT of work. I'd be shopping for some cheap 17's to mount a set of Nokian winter tires. Now THAT will get you anywhere you want, especially if the car has as good LSD. BTDT,...:)

3) Provided the battery and all associated cables & grounds are all in perfect condition, your car will start just fine on cold days. This does not include light weight racing batteries,...:) For cold weather, you need extended amperage that means something around 800 CCA for 5 minutes. An Optima or a good high-end Interstate will do the job. Remember now, EVERYTHING must be perfect.

4) Just make sure that the charging system is functioning well, the battery is perfect, and all grounds & cables are bright, shiny & clean. Once the engine has warmed a bit, it will drive off just fine in cold weather as long as the jetting is good and carbs set up right. :)
Steve
Site Admin

Return to Later 911 '74-'89