1987 G50 3.2 chassis setup

Shorthood Cars 2.7, 3.0 and 3.2

1987 G50 3.2 chassis setup

Postby Marko888 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:28 am

Hello Steve,

We spoke on the phone last fall when I was on a road trip through your area.

I’m researching suspension upgrade options for my very original car. It’s primarily a street car, and I wish to optimize its setup for the sometimes bumpy backroads we have in the PNW and BC. The car is used for road trips with my wife as well as spirited drives. I might get it to a track once per year to work on my skills. The car has 190k miles on it. Last year we installed new HD strut assemblies, HD shocks, and spring plate bushings. The car already has turbo tie rods which are a few years old. The car was corner balanced and aligned and is quite nice to drive. Criticisms would be that maybe were a bit too low, so it isn’t great on bumpy roads. It’s also looser than I’d like. I owned an M030 spec 944 S2 before this 911 and miss it’s precision.

I’ve weighed the 911 and it is at 2800lbs on a half tank of fuel. Not much change anticipated here.

I’ve read many articles and comments about the necessity of replacing all the rubber bushings. This was not done last year on the advice of the shop, but will be done this year. I plan to also add adjustable sway bars to have the balance tuning options.

Since we’ll be going in again, and have to redo the alignment, I wish to determine if I should update the torsion bars at this time. The advice gathered on this subject varies a lot. Some say more torsion bar and others say stock torsion bars, tuned to be stiffer with the sway bars.

What do you suggest for torsion and sway bar size for my objectives? At what height would you set the car?

Thank you
Marko888

Re: 1987 G50 3.2 chassis setup

Postby Steve » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:55 pm

Hi Mark,

I would install 22mm & 29mm torsion bars AND revalve your shocks. That combination rides very nicely and provides the precision you want, assuming proper tires & alignment.

ALL rubber bushings need to be replaced.

Set the car up about 3/4" lower than stock US ride height unless you have your shocks shortened to suit.
Steve
Site Admin

Postby Marko888 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Thank you Steve.

19mm anti-roll bars?

If I added that I thought the M030 S2 was a bit stiff at times, would you still go 22/29 or revert to 21/28?

As for the shock revalve. Is it possible to get me in and out same day with a pre-booked, drive in appointment? I could plan to do this on my next road trip through your neighbourhood.

Mark
Marko888

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:07 am

I would keep the stock ARB's if you are sensitive to ride quality. :)

I've never found 22/29mm bars in Carrera's to be harsh, but thats just my opinion. Shocks & tires play the biggest roles in ride quality assessments.

Shock valving cannot be done 'while you wait'. :) :) :) I would plan accordingly on that as this takes several weeks.
Steve
Site Admin

Return to Later 911 '74-'89