Correcting after market air intake issues

996 + 997 Twin Turbo

Correcting after market air intake issues

Postby skibum77 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:43 pm

Hi Guys,
New to board so thanks in advance for any suggestions on the following..
Just brought home my 2007 997.1 Mezger 6 speed !! very pristine well cared for car with one exception!
So as you can see from picture below i have after market air intake system, looks like maybe a Fabspeed product. The issue is car will not hold boost and makes a loud sucking nose then a kind of high pitched "phiiimp" on gear change. Characteristics are as follows, car wont spool up correctly and runs at about 70% of performance. I have video that i will try and upload so you can hear what i so poorly described. strange thing is it ran this way for the first two days i had it then on 500 mile trip home she ran like the car i knew she would be... balls to the wall. then next day back to this all noise and no action. its embarrassing to have an acura integra keep up with you i can tell you that! So obviously no air box in photo and while that may have something to do with it, the way it drove that one day leads me to conclusions of which i need someone more experienced than i to decipher.I do not particularly need to keep this setup and would most likely like to put it back to stock, currently reaching-out to last owner for info on what he did and where the original airbox is. looking for owners who may have experienced similar issues and what they found to be the main issues that i can correct. Is it the setup or a combination of that and a bad valve etc? as for environmental differences there were not any to speak similar altitude (6000ft and 40 to 60 degrees}. So that's it any help would be appreciated
Jared
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
skibum77

Re: Correcting after market air intake issues

Postby Steve » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:19 pm

Congratulations on the new ride! :D

First, I'm going to offer my opinion about those aftermarket intake systems and tell you how much I hate them. :)

There is no power increase.

There are MAF failures due to the oil used on the gauze filters (without oil, they do not filter anything at all).

They pass far more fine abrasive dirt than the factory paper air filters and there is nothing good about that.

I would recommend installing the factory air cleaner housing and a Mahle paper filter. Then, I'd plug in a PST-2 or PIWIS factory scan tool to see what (if any) logged codes are there.

Did you check the BOV's to see if they are leaking?

Has the ECU been reprogrammed?

What grade fuel is in the tank?

Did you check all of the boost hoses to make certain they are not loose, leaking, or loose clamps?

Need LOTS more details about what engine mods (if any) were done. :) :)
Steve
Site Admin

Return to 996 + 997 Twin Turbo